Monday, June 02, 2008

An Astounding Disappointment & A Second Chance

Yeah, I am talking about Prince Caspian. I know I might be a little sensitive about books being made into movies, and I understand that things are never the same. However, when a movie doesn't even follow the same plot line and insists on making a conflict where there is none, well, I tend to get a little defensive. Prince Caspian completely undermined the importance of the 4 original children and turned Peter and Caspian into some kind of testosterone driven rivalry that didn't even begin to exist in the book. Not to mention, a complete battle that had no place in the story and the non-existent appearance of Aslan, and you can imagine my frustration when I had no idea what was going on. I didn't even know how it might end and I have the book practically memorized! I fail to see how the movie did the series any justice, and the only reason some people liked it was because they haven't read the book. I cried during half the movie because I was so disappointed and hurt. Whatever. Once again I had my standards set too high for Hollywood. I mean, all I wanted was the actual plot, but I guess that was too much to ask for.
Well, now that I am done ranting about a low standard movie, lets move onto more exciting things.

Like the fact that I have once again discovered my passion for Final Fantasy VII.

I know, I know. I can see my sisters all rolling their eyes at me (as I roll mine to all things pink and fluffy), but I meet their eye rolling with a stubborn set to my jaw and continue to waste my life in front of my favorite game console.
I started playing FFVII when I lived in Spokane before I even met My Chris. I had a best friend named Chris Park who worked at Denny's with me and he introduced me to the game. I found a slightly used copy for 18 bucks (unheard of nowadays) and bought a used Play Station and started on a journey. I bought an unauthorized strategy guide off of Chris' younger brother for 20 bucks (another thing impossible to find now) and that completed everything I needed to have a grand adventure on one of the best known games in the entire series. One of the most frightful enemies in the entire game arena comes from that game. I guess more than anything, the game reminded me of an entire fantasy series played out with me interacting and being able to control the characters. There isn't another game I have played that I have liked as much as that one. Although Kingdom Hearts 2 is close. Of course it is made by mostly the same people and thats why I like it. I guess, I just really enjoy the chance to go back to a simpler time and enjoy the fun of running around on an airship with bunch of weird characters; a thief, a weird shaped dog, a foul-mouthed captain, a giant robot, a grumpy changeling, a really grumpy freedom fighter, and a tough girl who constantly kicks butt. I know, it sounds boring right? =) Well good luck to me and to all of you out there and with your summer vacations!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know how you feel. Granted I do pretty well with just taking things as they are trying to see them as separate entities from the books, but that many discrepencies are hard to swallow. Don't worry. Go see Baby Mama and you'll laugh your butt off! It'll make everything better!!

J and Heather said...

Hey Amber! It has been been forever since I have seen you. Well this is Heather Taylor, now Green. We grew up together in sweet Moapa, NV. Had some great times in elementary school. If this doesn't ring a bell oh well. Just wanted to say hi. I am new to this whole blog thingy so if you ever want to check whats going on with me, jandheather.blogspot.com

Cathy said...

Havn't seen it yet, but I still wana. Its been a while since I read the book though so maybe I will like the movie. COME VISIT US! We miss seeing you all. xoxoxoxoxo